Toulouse Lautrec And La Vie Moderne: Paris 1880 1910
Accompanying a major traveling exhibition, this catalogue celebrates the groundbreaking avant-garde artists whose works embody the spirit and decadence of fin de si cle and Belle poque Paris. Toulouse-Lautrec and La Vie Moderne is a celebration of the work of a generation of avant-garde artists at the turn of the nineteenth century in Paris who fought for artistic liberation against the strict codes of the Academy. Like the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists who preceded them, the Nabis, Incoh rents, Symbolists, and Naturalists sought to reinterpret a rapidly changing society that was no longer easily definable. Artists such as Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 'douard Vuillard, Pierre Bonnard, Mary Cassatt, and F lix Vallotton, among others, render with naturalism and vivacity modern Parisian life and its caf -concerts, cabarets, and brothels; street scenes and landscapes; and intimate domestic interiors. This rich presentation of paintings, watercolors, drawings, rare zinc shadow-puppet silhouettes, Chat Noir cabaret programs, and key ephemera for Parisian theaters, circuses, cabarets, and caf -concerts, are accompanied by essays by internationally known scholars, catalogue entries, artist biographies, a timeline of historical events and iconic works, a map of Paris, and a select bibliography.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): Book may have been read. Looks new and has no defects. May show remainder marks. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Near Fine (NF): Clean, with no defects, but may show slight wear at edges of book or dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Very Good (VG): Shows signs of wear. May have minor defects: clipped or chipped dust jacket; owner’s inscription; remainder mark; minor foxing or bumping. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. May have any of the defects above to a greater degree, including highlighting, library markings, or loose bindings. Rare and collectible books may have cocked spine, cracked hinges, water stains; torn or repaired dust jacket. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): May be very worn, soiled, torn, or barely holding together. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): May have extensive damage from moisture or insects; detached boards; parts may be missing; marginally salable unless very unusual. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Skira
- ISBN-13: 9780847841202
- ISBN: 0847841200
- Publication Year: 2013