Trails Of Yesterday
Trails of Yesterday, first published in 1921, is ranked with the best firsthand accounts of ranching on the northern Great Plains in the 1870s and 1880s. This classic of cow-country literature is rich in authentic frontier history.Born in England in 1842, John Bratt came to America when he was twenty-two, and in 1866 he joined a wagon train traveling from Nebraska City to Fort Phil Kearny. Bratt gives a vivid view of the country along the Great Platte River Road, reporting on the condition of the trail, meetings with Indians such as Dull Knife, and encounters with buffalo herds. There are splendid descriptions of the few forts then protecting the long trail Forts Kearny, McPherson, Mitchell, and Sedgwick and of the road ranches of John Burke and the notorious Jack Morrow, among others. Bratt was a cattle rancher for more than two decades and was instrumental in the settlement of North Platte, Nebraska.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Bison Books
- ISBN-13: 9780803260559
- ISBN: 0803260555
- Publication Year: 1996
- Edition: Reprint