White Sea: Poems
Cleopatra Mathis' poems have long been known for their richness of image and sound, and in White Sea the language is as generous as ever. But in this new work the target of the poet's vision is more jagged and elusive. Struggling to find a voice in the face of the death of a close friend and the threatened loss of others, she doubts the adequacy of language and the consolations of nature.Constructing her own eschatology, Mathis embarks upon a crucial confrontation with last things, one that questions the beginnings of her identity as a Greek child in Louisiana and carries forward into the landscape of the outer shore of Cape Cod. What she sees and cannot see governs these poems. Everywhere, the poet is haunted by the unrealized and unknowable soul.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Hardcover
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Sarabande Books
- ISBN-13: 9781932511161
- ISBN: 1932511164
- Publication Year: 2005