He was in the presence of stranger...some one hard and inflexible, who surely had not borne his lovely daughter. For years William and Kate have made a ritual of her birthday. Yet now that their children are adults, this gathering of the family offers Kate little comfort. Their son Walter is quietly dependable, but their daughters do not share their mother's perspective: Dora ridicules Herbert's devotion; the unmarried Janet seeks her liberty; Mary has made a virtue out of scrimping and saving, and Lydia gads in London with no thought for Oliver. Unlike Kate, William acknowledges that marital harmony can be a social illusion. When Lydia's behaviour confirms Kate's worst fears, it is William to whom Lydia turns. As disturbing as his daughter's unhappiness is the difference it reveals between himself and his wife, for William can love without judgement and Kate cannot.
- Condition: --
HPB condition ratings
- New: Item is brand new, unused and unmarked, in flawless condition.
- Fine/Like New (F): No defects, little usage. May show remainder marks. Older books may show minor flaws.
- Very Good (VG): Shows some signs of wear and is no longer fresh. Attractive. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Good (G): Average used book with all pages present. Possible loose bindings, highlighting, cocked spine or torn dust jackets. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Fair (FR): Obviously well-worn, but no text pages missing. May be without endpapers or title page. Markings do not interfere with readability. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Poor (P): All text is legible but may be soiled and have binding defects. Reading copies and binding copies fall into this category. Used textbooks do not come with supplemental materials.
- Format: Paperback
- Sold by: --
- Language: English
- Publisher: Virago Pr
- ISBN-13: 9780860688556
- ISBN: 0860688550
- Publication Year: 1993
- Edition: Reprint